How do I get a Temporary Right to be in the United States?

You just got accepted to the college of your dreams in the United States. But you don’t want to become a citizen — you just want to study here. What can you do?

There are several reasons why you may be coming to the U.S. for temporary reasons. Maybe it’s for a job or education purposes. Or maybe you met the love of your life who is a U.S. citizen. Whatever the case may be, you may be confused how can you enter and stay in this country without breaking the law. And the best way to do that is to get a temporary visitor visa.

What does this mean? The purpose of a temporary visitor visa is to give you the opportunity to enter the United States legally for a specific reason — be it for business, education, or pleasure. It also gives you certain rights while you are here for education or work:

  • The right to be paid a fair wage
  • The right to be free from discrimination
  • The right to be free from sexual harassment or exploitation
  • The right to a healthy and safe workplace
  • The right to request help from union, immigrant, and labor rights groups
  • The right to leave an abusive employment situation

If you have been approved the U.S. Department of State, you will receive a nonimmigrant visa. This will allow you to travel to the U.S. and request entry for a particular purpose. It’s important to note that these visas do expire, so keep an eye on the deadlines. Otherwise, you will need to leave the country before your “admit until” date that is stamped on your visa expires.

Let’s say after a few months living in the U.S. under a temporary visitor visa, you decide that you do want to live here. Is it possible for a temporary visitor visa to become permanent? Yes, you will need to fill out an application to change your status as soon as possible. But remember, you are still considered a nonimmigrant until the change is approved. You cannot change your activity in the U.S. at this time. For instance, if your nonimmigrant visa is only for education purposes, you cannot start a new job. And again, if your status expires before the change is approved, you will have to leave the country. This is why it’s important to keep an eye on those deadlines!

If a loved one has been detained by ICE and you need an immigration bond, we can help. Contact Freedom Federal Bonding Agency today and get your loved one free.

Share This:Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInEmail this to someonePrint this page

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *