Your cousin is currently being detained by ICE. He pleads with you over the phone to get him out. You know that you don’t have the money to pay for the entire bail yourself. So you decide to get a bond. But you’re not sure what the process entails. Just how do immigration bonds work anyway?
An immigration bond is similar to a bail bond — you use it as a guarantee that your loved one will be present at all hearings in exchange for his/her freedom. Your loved one needs to meet certain qualifications in order to be eligible for a bond. As we’ve explained before, there are different types of immigration bonds.
The process of obtaining an immigration bond is as follows:
- Call us as soon as possible. Make sure you have the case number available — this will speed the process. If you are unsure how much the bond is, or ICE is still investigating the case, we will be able to contact ICE to find out the amount once the investigation is complete.
- Once the investigation is complete, ICE will be set the initial bond amount. The amount depends on the various factors of the case (i.e. criminal record, employment history, etc.) but the minimum amount is $1,500.
- After the bond has been set, it is possible to request an immigration judge to lower or change the amount; however, it will not change unless the circumstances related to the immigrant’s detention change. It can take up to 10 days before the case is heard.
- Once a bond has been agreed upon, it can be paid by anyone who is in the United States lawfully. For instance, if you are an undocumented immigrant who has a loved one in detention, you will not be able to bail that person out of detention.
- Once your loved one is out on bond, remember to make sure the immigrant attends all hearings relating to his/her case. Failure to do so could mean a default of the bond.
If you have a loved one who is in need of an immigration bond in the Houston, Texas, area, don’t delay. Contact the experienced immigration bail bond consultants at Freedom Federal Bonding Agency now. Hablamos Espanol.